Saturday, December 31, 2011

Jet Lagged

So I’m currently in Taiwan, jet lagged and debating if I should venture out into the rain to purchase breakfast.

Coming back to the family home has become more and more of a culture shock as time goes by. I use to think that I’m a good traveller. You know, one who makes the best of everything, and language barriers are alright as long as you use English and make your attempt in gesturing. Here in Taiwan, I’m not so much a traveller; in their (relatives and people interacting with) eyes, I’m one of them and should act accordingly.

One thing that has always bothered me, even when I was growing up here, was the obsession that Asian people have regards to weight. If one isn’t stick thin, then they must be fat. So suffice to say, I was the obese chick that came back from the land of obese people.

Yesterday afternoon, when relatives congregated in the living room catching up and just talking about life in general. One of my aunts was telling me how I should start walking like she does, every day for 4km. That way, it will help me lose weight more and be healthier. I looked at her a little funny, and said “Sure, erm, when do you walk again? I’ll join you.”

That afternoon, once we hit the track, I just took off and didn’t look back until I caught up with her again when I started my second lap. We were done “excercising” within the half an hour, since the wind was getting too strong - if I let it, I’d probably be running backwards- and getting dark.

My aunt turns to me and says “Hey you are pretty fast! I’m amazed”

Score one for the plump chick.

Just she waits until I’m fully rested (I was running on 3 1/2 hours of sleep for the past 48 hours and caffeine thanks to jet lag).

P.S. Just to clarify, I don’t see my self as obese. A little plump? Have 30lbs to lose? Yes. But I’ve decided since I started running again in Nov 2011 that I will like my body and the slow weight loss process I am putting it through. I’m done disliking my own body, and I’m done with people telling me what and how I should think in regards to my own body. That is all. :)

No comments:

*disclaimer*

This site's main theme more so stems from "Grace Kelly" by Mika. There is absolutely no association with Grace Kelly the actress. I only wish I could have 1/2 the grace she possesses on screen. *sighs*