Sunday, August 21, 2011

AFC 5k

I almost didn't make it to this 5k today. This past week has been an flurry of work activities, going back to home town for jury duty, awesome evening run with high school friend and then on Thursday night, I fell prey to a stomach flu bug. Friday and Saturday was spent void of any normal activity and stranded amongst the couch, bed or by the porcelain god. Not fun to say the least.

Lucky for me, Mother dearest came to the rescue with her collection of herbs (she is a certified acupuncturist/herb doctor). She whipped up a stew of herbal Chinese medicine and made me drink every last drop (blech...if you think they smell bad, it tastes even worse!) starting Friday and ending the last dose on Sat evening. Surprisingly, this morning I woke up feeling pretty darn good (i.e. I can move!) and went on my merry way (thanks Mom!).

Thanks to friend HL, she was able to pick up my bib for me earlier so all I had to do was to pick her up with sister at the un-godly hour of 5:50am and cart all of us to the starting line. Sister had the task of taking pictures of HL and I while we were off running, so she stayed behind once the race started.

The race felt like it was finished before it even began. According to my Garmin, my stats were below:



I wonder what was exactly my official time.

Regardless, I'm pretty proud of myself for finishing this race and now I have a bib to hang up on the wall! As for pictures...Sister failed for both HL and I, she didn't make out either one of us. *sigh*

Though, I think I did manage to guilt trip her and convince to do her first 5k come Nov. *evil grin*

My eyes still sting a little from sweat and sunscreen, and my legs are still buzzing with a post run sore, but I don't think I've felt this content with a run for a while. That and I'm starting to flirt with the idea of a half for Jan. 2012. Man, this runner's high is dangerous.

p.s. Why is it that after EVERY single steep incline on the route today, there were a hoard of photographers? Don't they know I look like CRAP after running up a hill? 0_o I dread the pictures already.......

1 comment:

Amanda @ Running On Waffles said...

Congrats on your 5K!!!! That's so exciting!!! Get ready to become totally addicted to racing :)!

*disclaimer*

This site's main theme more so stems from "Grace Kelly" by Mika. There is absolutely no association with Grace Kelly the actress. I only wish I could have 1/2 the grace she possesses on screen. *sighs*